Baldanza Denaro Palace
The Palace is one of the most typical Baroque example. It contains bulding railings, ledges. Strongly pointed tympanums, putti, grotesque figures, blazons. It was used as a guestroom. Now used as center of the Pro Loco Association (Associazione Turistica Pro Loco).
Majorana della Nicchiara Palace
Located in Porta della Terra Street, it was called "of the lions" for the two lions on the cornes of its front. The facade is wide and the Bosses on the sides are datable to the Sixteenth century.
one of the few remaining buildings of the Renaissance age. Note its heavily rusticated corner stones bearing carved lions. At the far end of the building turn left, than immediately right for Santa Maria la Vetere.
Probably datable to the first decade of the seventeenth century. On the facade it presents: women's faces on the ledges, putti, masks, and a blazon on the lintel.
This palace was built in the 18th century. It belonged to the Iatirni's family. Its facede presents a portal with wide bosses and multiple decorations.
This palace was built in the eighteenth century. It is adorned by a rich and lively play of volutes and anthropomorphic figures. It is important for the large porttal with pilasters and telamons.
Liggieri Palace (former Reforgiato)
This palace was built in the 18th century. It presents pompous balconies, masks on the ledges, blazons which are decorated with flags and putti. The portal contains wide bosses.
The quarters of Militello
Before 1693 Militello, that counted about 7000 inhabitants, was situated more to the South respect the actual site, in the districts, today, called: San Vito, Santa Barbara, San Pietro, San Giovanni, San Nicolò the Old and Santa Maria the Old.
According to the classic rules of the town-planner of the middle age, the Castle was built in the highest part of the City.
Some studious people write that the country was situated on the hill where rises the castle. The inhabited centre, however, slowly moving to the North-East, also Carrera describes this slow depopulation of the zones.
The 1693 earthquake speed up this phenomenon and the new town was rebuilt as the directors that already had been traced before. The districts rebuilt after the earthquake and that present still today a structure urban medieval are those of San Giovanni, a part of San Pietro and Santa Maria la Vetere; these quarters, in the 16th century, represented the part more to the North of the town, today, delimit the periphery more to the South of the urban centre.
The criteria that favoured the movement of the inhabited centre were, above all, of geological and orographic characters, no one town-planned marked the rebuilding after the 1693 earthquake.
If the urban development, after the earthquake, continued without some intervention, the palaces, the churches and the residences, instead, were planned by able architects. One of them was Antonio Scirè (1697-1788)who worked all over in Sicily. An interesting aspect for the architecture of the quarters of Militello between the 15th and 16th century concerns some examples of houses and balconies in the South zone. These residences that often belonged to the poorest classes are the valid architectonic evidence, and shows that the cultural flowering of the country was extended to all of the social classes. Some architectonic solutions are present perhaps only in Militello: ledges, bosses, etc.
Unfortunately, today, we assist to the degeneration of some quarters and the cause is the inadequacy of the old constructions to the new requirements.